Wednesday, July 23, 2008

11. Final Sanding, finish coat and LAUNCH!

7/19/2008: One day before launch. I knew I was going to need to sand the hull again because I just had too many drips, blemishes and uneven surface left. I wanted it as close to perfect as I could . . . even though I knew I was launching it the next day.

The combings had dried completely, so I took off all the C-Clamps. A couple of the ones (without plastic tips) had gotten some epoxy on them and slightly hardened to the underside of the deck. I'll have to remember to place some plastic between them next time . . . but we were so focused on getting the clamps in place, we hadn't worried about it last night. I was able to wiggle most of them free without damage, but one C-Clamp brought a piece of the deck underside with it. (Dang it all.) I guess I'll need to fill it with some epoxy and sand it smooth.

Besides that issue, I'm happy with the results. I turn over the boat and completely sand the hull. I apply a light coat of epoxy as the top coat (knowing I'll be finishing it with polyurethane later - but epoxy will be good enough for the "birthday" launch.) I let that dry overnight.

Sunday, 7/20/2008: Launch day. I'm cutting it incredibly close, I know, but I have to go for it! I wake up at 6:30 a.m. knowing that we're launching at 2:00 p.m. I start the final deck sanding by hand (because the rest of the family is sleeping) but soon realize its going too slow. I bring a fan into the house and get that going to help drowned out the noise. I start rotary sanding at about 7:00 a.m. Sanding is done by about 8:00. Six hours to launch.
I decide to take my chances and finish the deck with a very light coat of epoxy. Mid-way through I realize that I bought the "slow hardener" that says it typically takes 8-hours to dry. I'm starting to get nervous . . . I know that a "sticky" deck would ruin the launch. I'm committed now though, so I finish applying the epoxy.
10:00 a.m. My son, Josh, helps me move the kayak out into sun and I also put a fan on it. I'm hoping the extra heat and air will speed up drying.
11:30 a.m.: I touch the deck near the bow and it's still a little tacky. I go work on getting the kayak rack ready on the car.
12:30 p.m.: I touch one of the combings and its dry. Praise be! I touch the deck and it too is dry. My spirits raise considerably.
1:30 p.m.: Josh helps me load the kayaks onto the car and we start driving to Rattlesnake Lake near North Bend, WA. We're meeting our friends there for the big launch and to celebrate my wife's birthday. The campagne is chilling!
2:30 p.m.: I took extra care to tie the kayak down on the new Yakima rack (alleviating visions of the finished kayak flying off the car on I-90 and ending up in pieces on the freeway --- yes, its happened to me before, luckily just an old bed, but definitely another lesson learned :-P )
We make it to Rattlesnake Lake safely, launch the boat and have a wonderful, relaxing time. The kayak glides like it's on ice! We easily out pace the other two kayaks and even help some friends by towing them across the lake.
I'm so happy!!

Here are some photos from the launch day and the finished kayak:






Thank you to EVERYONE who helped me accomplish this DREAM!!

2 comments:

Diane said...

Congratulations, Todd. She's beautiful! You've done an amazing amount of work and you must feel so accomplished. I might need to keep the pictures hidden from Rich for fear that he might take on yet another "project." (hahaha). Good to see you last Friday! Hugs, Diane

Unknown said...

Excellent experience sharing for making kayak from beginning
Roger